Friday, July 16, 2010

Comment Moderation

On one hand, I have little respect for those who comment anonymously. If I am unwilling to affix my name to something I have written, then it probably should not be written!

On the other hand, I welcome comments from anyone who is willing to take the time to read my posts and interact with my writing. I don't like having my comments removed by the owners of other blogs, and am unwilling to restrict commenting solely to those who agree with the positions I hold.

So how do I reconcile a dislike for anonymous commenting with a desire to let commenters challenge my writing?

Blogger provides only 4 options with regard to comments:
  • Anyone - includes Anonymous Users
  • Registered Users - includes OpenID
  • Users with Google Accounts
  • Only members of this blog
  • Since my blog began I have used the first option, as it is the least restrictive to commenters. Beginning today, I am going to try something new. I will continue to allow anyone to comment, but will begin to moderate comments. Anonymous comments will, most often, be deleted. Exceptions will be based solely on the substance of the comment, and that solely at my discretion.

    2 comments :

    JohnBrianMck said...

    In the 6 weeks that I have been moderating comments, I have deleted 60 comments that were nothing more than advertisements. I'm very glad I started moderating comments!

    JohnBrianMck said...

    75 advertisement comments later I finally realized that by turning on blogger's 'word verification' option, I would eliminate such comments!