Thursday, January 11, 2007

My Very First Post - yippee!

My favorite website forum is Sharper Iron. I am a fairly regular poster there. Recently there were links to 2 posts on Dan Burrell’s blog, titled:

01/05/07 - The Top 10 News Stories of Interest in Evangelicalism in 2006, and

01/08/07 - The Top 10 Significant News Stories Impacting Fundamentalism in 2006.

Number 3 on the Fundamentalism list was – Independent Baptists and Southern Baptists – Merging or Simply Working Together?

Since I pastor an SBC church I responded to the discussion on SI (under the name JohnBrian) about that issue.

Here are my comments and the comments of fellow SI posters. (you might need to read Joel’s Line in the Sand article to fully understand his post).

****
[JohnBrian]

I pastor an SBC church and will be leaving it sometime this summer. (Several years ago I made a commitment to the church that I would stay until this summer).

Where do I go from here: Do I go back to the Independents - I graduated from TTU? Do I join the Reformed Baptists, now that I identify myself as a Calvinist? Do I join the GARBC, after all I grew up in the home of BMM missionaries? Do I go to another SBC church - my daughter and son-in-law are at Southern Seminary?

My folks came out of the Canadian Fellowship of churches, but since I was raised in Jamaica and only lived in Canada on furlough, I don't have any real association with that group. In some way I fit into a whole bunch of different groups, and someone in each of those groups would likely separate from me because of my association with another group.

What am I to do?

I've got it - I'll start my own church - the Calvinistic First Baptist Reformed Separated Bible Church. That name is too long for a sign so I'll have to abbreviate it. Let's see - CaFirBaRS Bible Church. Now, if I can convince my wife to join the church, we'll have the preaching and the piano playing taken care of.

Maybe it would be simpler to just go for counseling. :)

****
[Larry]

Quote:{if I can convince my wife to join the church, we'll have the preaching and the piano playing taken care of.}

But what will your role be?????

****
[Joel]

Congratulations John,

Excellent note. What's clear is that you're not at all worried about your self-identity. That my friend is refreshing. John, I have great news for you. I just received a note from the alphabet committee on "Types." You will be receiving your very own "Letter." We will be sending you little "pins" to stick in that letter (This will be based on the old letter-man's jacket concept). Because of your time at TTU - we will be sending you a little bus to pin on the letter. Oh yes, because of your affinity to Reformed theology - you will be getting a brass tulip pin (in your choice of 4 or 5 pedals!). To commemorate your fellowship with the Canadian brethren, Don will be sending you a maple-leaf pin. In connection to your GARBC affiliation we will be sending you a pin with the number "18"!

By the way, because you will be the leader of your own group, this means (amongst other things) that you get to choose the official logo, colors and of course letterhead!

This also means that your wife, once she joins said church, can be the official queen of your "Type."

Outstanding!

Joel

****
[JohnBrian]

Quote:{But what will your role be?????}

I'll get to count the offering!

****
[JohnBrian]

Quote:{Congratulations John,

Excellent note. What's clear is that you're not at all worried about your self-identity. That my friend is refreshing. John, I have great news for you. I just received a note from the alphabet committee on "Types." You will be receiving your very own "Letter."}

Now I need that t-shirt to put all of those pins on. Or maybe I could drag out my Boys Brigade Shirt and pin them on it.

On second thought, that shirt is way too small, and who remembers Boys Brigade anyway. (I was in BB when we were on furlough the year I was in the 6th grade)

****
[JohnBrian]

Since I am (I think) the only SBC pastor that posts on SI, I can rightfully claim to speak for all (snicker, snicker) Southern Baptists. Who is there to argue that I cannot be the spokesperson.

What power, what prestige. It's at least worth an honorary doctorate from somewhere. :)

****
[Bruce Countryman]

Quote:{Since I am (I think) the only SBC pastor that posts on SI, I can rightfully claim to speak for all (snicker, snicker) Southern Baptists. Who is there to argue that I cannot be the spokesperson.

What power, what prestige. It's at least worth an honorary doctorate from somewhere. :)

Think again John. There is a John that is a pastor at Saddleback. See his latest posts under politics on Rick Warren on Meet The Press.

But hey, if you really want an honorary doctorate, I'll be glad to have one issued from one in Hammond Indiana. They have one that is in a mail-in category. I tried to get one for Larry, our resident moderator from Michigan, but they said he was unqualified because

1. He doesn't shout when he preaches. (underqualified)
2. He uses words with more than three sylables. (overqualified)

I'll see what I can do for ya pal!

****
And thus endeth the writing of my very first post on my own blog - Thanks Sarah and Charity (and Lee too).

No comments :